July 7th Update on my Mom



Here is the latest information on my mom's situation. Yesterday (Sunday) she was transferred from McKay-Dee Hospital to Alpine Rehab here in Brigham. Yeah! It is so nice to have her close! Anyway, she is doing very well, I think, for the most part. Since the amputation the swelling seems to have gone down considerably - enough that on Friday when she sat up in bed the cast slipped right off the stump and landed on the floor! She now has to wear a strap around her waist to keep the cast from falling off. She seems to have more color, even though she is still severely anemic, and a little more energy. Alpine is incredible! It is almost like staying in a 5 star hotel! They are treating her very well there, and I think that even though she is anxious to go home, she will be comfortable in the meantime.
Since mom has been sick for such a long time all of her muscles are extremely weak and she will require many hours of rehabilitation in order to be able to transfer herself from chair to chair. We are looking at about 2 months before she can get a prosthesis.
The amputation was a hard decision to make, but the infection was so severe we now know that it was the correct choice.

Comments

Jodi said…
Sounds like you have been through quite an ordeal. I am glad you have her back in BC! That will take a huge burden off of you.

I am still so excited you started a blog! But I guess I said that in my comment on your other post! You are gonna love it! Said that too... but you are!
janis said…
Glad to hear your mom is doing better. Its great knowing she has good care providers during her recovery...it takes alot of stress away..
Jen said…
I'm glad your mom is doing so well. I'm sure that was a difficult decision and nothing about this has been easy. But I'm glad things are working out. And I'm so glad you started a blog. I think you'll really like it! The pictures turned out great on the side.
Doran & Jody said…
GO MOM!! We will keep you in our prayers!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home