Week in Review 8-7-16



The 2016 Olympics started this week.  I love the Olympics.  It may because it is because I feel a sense of patriotism in joining with the rest of the nation in cheering on the USA team.  I’m in such awe of athletes who work so hard to earn the honor of receiving an Olympic medal.  I’m also so impressed with the athletes that give everything they have just for the honor of competing when they know that they have little to no chance of winning.  I love hearing the stories of the athletes, where they come from as well as the struggles they have faced.  The funny thing is that any other time I am not at all interested in the sports or of the athletes.  It must have something to do with the whole Olympic hype.  Whatever the reason, I find myself glued to the television and computer during the Olympics. 
My favorite events in the summer Olympics are volleyball, both indoor as well as beach, gymnastics, and diving.  I also enjoy swimming.  However, I will pretty much watch any event, in fact I found myself tethered to the cycling event yesterday.  Watching cyclists cover 150 miles for 6 hours, unreal. 
I was fortunate this week that we were not busy at the hospital again this weekend so I was able to catch the opening day of the Olympics.  I’m pretty sure that I won’t be so lucky next week, looks like it will be really busy.
Monday we had a big faculty meeting at the Layton campus.  We spent several hours planning our schedules for next semester.  It looks like I will be teaching a very small Fundamentals class along with the associated in-house labs and team teaching with Sue for the Med/surg I class along with the associated in-house labs.  It is not certain if I will be going to a clinical or not, but I am pretty much planning on it.  It looks like I won’t have to teach in Murray this next semester!  Yea!  Less driving.



After the meeting I caught a ride back to Murray to wait for Cyn to get off work.  She then picked me up so we could go to the Desert Star Playhouse for the performance of “Perfect Pitch.
Cyn and I had a fabulous time!  The show was great, typical Star humor.  We shared a pizza and a molten lava cake and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
We drove back to Layton and I stayed at her house for the night.  It is so nice that she is now living in Layton!

The next night the adults in the ward had a barbeque dinner with great entertainment.  Brian Huff, Mike, Julie, & Becky Collins along with their friend, Steve, who they used to perform with, and also Peggy and Frank Szostek put together a fun band.  It was really enjoyable.  Kim went into work late so he could attend and Ash also came along for a fun evening.  We have just a great ward!




 Apparently Ash stole my phone and decided to record some entertainment of her own!

We are not sure whether Rae is going to be able to stay a major part of our lives.  We have absolutely loved having her join our family and are praying for her to have the very best life possible.  Just to be on the safe side, I decided that she and I needed to have a picture together. 


She has engrained herself into our family and is such a joy to be around.  Just today she told me, “I am Kalel’s brother and he is my step-sister”.  She entertained kim and I this afternoon with singing and playing the piano.

And then she insisted that we play several games together while we were waiting for Kalel to come home from his dad’s house.  We played Candyland, Don’t Break the Ice, and Uno Moo.    When kalel came home we decided to spend the afternoon looking at old scrapbooks.  It was so fun to see how much everyone has changed over the years.  I just adore Kalel and Raelyn!

I’m not sure if I am okay to say anything yet, but I’m going to anyway.  The last several weeks I have been thinking a lot about the piano.  I haven’t played much since I started school.  I really enjoy playing, I’m not very good, but I can do alright.  Anyway I have been thinking that I really need to start practicing again so that I could play if needed.  I then started thinking about playing in Relief Society, and I thought that I might enjoy that calling to accompany the sisters as they sing hymns.  It would be a good way to get me to practice without too much pressure.  Well, today the bishopric gave me the calling as the Relief Society accompanist.  To say that I was ready for the calling was an understatement.  For some reason the Lord saw fit to prepare me to be ready for the calling I was being asked today.  I’m not sure why, but it was very nice to be able to accept the calling knowing that I really am supposed to be there.  I just hope that no one minds all of my mistakes!   


This week I am grateful for:  the ability to watch and enjoy the Olympics

Comments

Jodi said…
That's awesome about your inspiration for your piano calling! I had a similar experience other than I wasn't HOPING to be called but I felt the need to get out my hymn book and just play a few hymns a few weeks ago and then BAM! I get called as well! I am pretty sure I wasn't as willing as you were to say YES though! Ha! But it will be good for me!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home