Carving Jamboree

Memorial Day weekend is just about my favorite weekend of the year. It is not because it is the day we honor our dead that are no longer with us as well as those who have lost their lives to fight for our freedoms - although honoring them is very important. No, the reason it is my favorite is because it is the "Wood Carving Jamboree"!

Although I am not a wood carver, I LOVE this weekend because I join Kim and his brother David and travel to Idaho. The boys spend 3 full days carving with some of the best carvers in the nation - therefore they are very happy. I, on the other hand, am very happy because I get to spend 3 full days all alone doing whatever I feel like doing! I used to haul all of my scrapbooking paraphernalia with me and then spread paper, photos, stickers, etc all over the room. However the last few years have been extremely nice since I now do all of my scrappin' on my laptop, so I don't have to carry so much stuff - only my computer bag.
This year, the Jamboree was held in Boise. We went up on Friday and did a session in the Boise Temple. The pool in our hotel was fantastic, so I spent part of my days swimming. Saturday our friends, Daniel and Rachelle, drove up and spent the day. The decided to go to the temple, so I took their adorable kids swimming for a couple of hours.

Daniel and Rachelle brought the kids back on Monday and we had a terrific time at the Boise Zoo. It was SO great to spend time with them. I don't get to see them nearly enough!

One of our carving friends, Ryan, has the same last name as us, so the running joke of the Jamboree was that Ryan, Kim, and David were all brothers. When Ryan would do something a little obnoxious, Kim or Dave would shriek, "I'm going to tell mom!" at which point Ryan would try to insist, "we are NOT related". However, the three of them were all acting so childish, no one would believe that they were not related!
We have been attending the Jamboree for the last 15 years! Over the years Kim has been able to carve and learn from some of the best caricature carvers in America including: Cleve Taylor, Marv Kaisersatt, Gene Fuller, Pete LeClair, Dave Stetson, Steve Prescott, Phil and Vicki Bishop, Bob Travis, Tom Wolfe, David Sabol. He has learned so much! This year Kim and Dave carved with Cleve Taylor and this is the carving they did.

Yep! this is definitely one of my favorite weekends of the year!

Comments

Doran & Jody said…
How fun for you ALL!!

Glad the sharks didn't get ya in da pool!!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home