Post Graduation Vacation

Early (and by early I mean at 5:00 a.m.!) the day after my graduation, we loaded up and headed south.  Shandra had planned a trip to visit a friend in So. Carolina, so we dropped her off at the airport to catch her flight.  Tasha, Kim, and I continued in the car.  The plan was to drop Tasha off in Cedar and the Kim and I would head to St. George for a relaxing time full of sunshine and no stress.

Every time I make the trip to St. George, I think about stopping at Cove Fort, but we are always in a hurry to arrive.  This time, we were just taking it slow and easy, so we decided to stop at Cove Fort.  I am so glad we did!
Cove Fort was built by Ira Hinckley in 1847 to offer protection to travelers from the Indians, as well as provide rest and food.  It is built of lava rock and the walls are 4' thick at the bottom and 2.5' at the top.  Even though it was built for protection, it was never used for that purpose.  It was very interesting to sit in a cabin that was actually built over 150 years ago and to see how people lived.  I love exploring history, and Cove Fort did not disappoint! 


Kim loved looking at all of the old tools, and even was able to shed some light on some of them to the tour guide.  Tasha and Kim had tons of fun rolling hoops, a game that was frequently played at that time.  Kim was definitely the master!

The time in St. George was just what I needed.  Tons of relaxation and sun, no pressures or worries.  We traveled back and forth to Cedar a couple of times to get engagement pictures of Tasha and Zane, and they came to St. George for her birthday and we took them out to Texas Roadhouse.
In Cedar, Zane took us to see the dome home model that he has been working on.  It is quite an architectural feat in that it can be built in less than 14 days with just 2 people and doesn't cost very much money.  The company he is working with has some great ideas for building them in third world countries where poverty and violence are prevalent.
Tasha ended up spending a couple of days with us because she didn't have to work, so we enjoyed ourselves by hanging out at the gorgeous pool at World Mark.
One of my favorite parts of the trip was doing a session at the St. George Temple.  I have always loved that temple, especially when I was going to school at Dixie.  It is truly one of my favorite temples, and it was great to share it with Kim.
This vacation was very needed after all of the ups and downs in my life lately.  A time to sit back and regroup before the next wave hits!

Comments

Doran & Jody said…
Every time we pass Cove Fort we say the same thing. However we haven't made it there yet.

Glad you had a great time!!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home