September Challenge Day #19--How has technology changed since you were younger?

Technology has changed so much during my lifetime!  I remember sitting in my 5th grade class and my teacher, Mrs. Freeman, was reading us a book after lunch.  I don't remember what the title of the book was, but I do remember that it was about a "future" time in which every home had a computer and people would no longer use money, they would just swipe a card to buy things.  I remember thinking how crazy that was because at the time computers were so big that one computer took up a whole room.  Private citizens did not own computers, only big, big businesses did.
 

Data was entered by punching holes in cards

And you had to learn to speak a different language like COBALT or FORTRAN to work on computers.

Telephones were always connected to the wall and had a rotary dial.

 Princess phones came out when I was a kid.  They were the coolest things ever!


Televisions were black and white when I was very little, with a rotary dial, and there was no such things as remotes.  We had a TV in a big console that also contained a stereo.


We got our first microwave oven when I was in about 7th grade, and we were the only ones I know of who had one!
This is not my mother (just a model that came with the picture!)
WOW!  How things have changed.  Anymore it seems that technology is moving so fast that things are pretty much outdated as soon as you buy them!  It makes me wonder what life would be like today if we took away all of these gadgets that we think that we need.  I wonder if we could even function.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home