Thought - punishment for sin?

I just had a thought that I want to record.  How often in life do we hear (or are guilty of ourselves) that people assume that if we do what is right then our lives will be smooth with no bumps or lumps.  Or, if we are struggling with challenges or trials we chastise ourselves, assuming we are being punished for some sin that we have committed.

Yes, we do read in the scriptures about the times that the Lord punishes whole groups of people who were wicked.  But I'm not talking about these things - these people were truly wicked, murderers, adulterers, and persecuting faithful saints.

What I am talking about is those of us who are good, kind people who for the most part are trying to do what is right.  Yet we make mistakes and then assume we are being justly punished for the mistakes when life deals us lemons.  For example, years ago a loved one was about to undergo extensive surgery.  The entire family had a day of fasting prior to the surgery.  I don't remember what excuse I used, but for some reason I didn't join in the fast.  I felt guilty for not fasting - so much so that when the surgery was complete and the patient experienced excruciating pain I blamed myself for causing her pain.  I felt that I had caused her severe pain because God was angry with me for not fasting.

That is not the way the Lord works.  God does not send us punishments just because we have done something wrong.  If so, why would Jesus Christ himself have been subjected to so much?  Christ was perfect, had never committed a sin, yet he was rejected, beaten, spit upon and eventually murdered.

The reason we are given trials and challenges in life is not to punish us, it is so that we can learn and grow - and to appreciate the times when life seems to be going smoothly. There are times when we bring hard times upon ourselves because of our actions, but not because God wants to punish us. God loves us, unconditionally.  Routinely punishing us is just not His style.  

Comments

Jodi said…
Love this! I tend to do the same thing. I am always blaming my faults for others trials...mainly my children. "If only I was a better person then I could've prevented them from having this happen". Etc. etc. Thank you for writing this. It was a good reminder of something I needed to hear. You are very inspiring!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home