Looking Back at July

I want to know how time moves so quickly!  It seems like summer just barely started and now the stores are all advertising "back to school" sales!  I LOVE summer, and feel like I have been working so many crazy shifts that I have missed most of it.  Only the fact that I am working as a nursing educator makes the sacrifice worthwhile (almost!).  

I have had the opportunity to spend long summer days, literally getting up at insane hours, supervising students at Avalon Health Care, McKay Dee Hospital, and LDS Hospital as they perform their clinical hours.  It has been amazing to see these nursing students learn and grow as they work  through nursing school towards the goal of becoming Registered Nurses.  Nursing school is grueling, requiring long hours of class time, clinical experiences, and an endless mountain of homework and tests.  I'm very proud of each and every one of them!  And I'm going to miss spending time with them each week.





Shandra and clan decided to celebrate Independence Day by going blue!

Shandra, Jason, Kalel, and RaeLin
Tristan invited Kalel to a backyard campout, and Ashley invited the rest of us to join them for s'mores - YUM!  Who could resist?



Our family used to go camping every year.  I miss the quiet time sitting around the campfire with no electronics in sight.  Some of my favorite memories are toasting marshmallows, singing songs, and staring into the fire while talking freely about anything and everything.  

McKay Parrish came home from his mission!  He was serving in the Ventura, California Spanish Speaking Mission.  We were invited to join the family and friends for a backyard feast after his report.  (I didn't take any pictures, so I stole these from Jodi and Marilyn)
Kalel was doing back handsprings and McKay asked him if he could do a handstand.  McKay, Mitch, and their cousin all demonstrated the proper technique - McKay stayed up forever!  He then had Shandra spot him while he tried his very first back handspring.  Not too bad!

Marshall, Marilyn, Mont, McKay, Mitch, & Maddie
We have been so blessed to have the Parrish family accept us as part of their family.  They are such marvelous friends.  Our family has been richly enhanced from our association with the Parrishes.

Just as an example - someone (Ashley) locked my front door, locking me out of the house.  Our deck stairs had become dangerous so we took them down, therefore I had no way to get to the back door to which I had a key.  McKay Parrish to the rescue - he stuck the key in his pocket and pulled himself up to the top of the deck with no more effort than a monkey!  He then opened the door and walked through the house to let me in.  Love those guys!

I did something this month that I NEVER thought that I would do.  I remember in the not too distant past dreading Sunday School because I felt that I was so under educated about the teachings in the scriptures.  I felt that there were so many scholars and scriptorians that I felt that I couldn't even begin to contribute to the class.  I swore that I would NEVER teach that class.  Something happened, I'm not quite sure when or how, but somehow I gained a little confidence.  Perhaps it was when I was called to teach the Gospel Essential class.  Perhaps it was because I started school.  I don't know.  But, it seemed that overnight I started having thoughts that I couldn't help sharing with the rest of the class.  Needless to say once I started to feel like I could offer ask questions and offer comments I started enjoying class a lot more.  
I should have known better than to say I would NEVER do anything!  I was asked to substitute for the Gospel Doctrine teacher who was going out of town.  There were approximately  50-70 people in the class.  Guess what!   I LOVED IT!  Who would have thought?  Yes, I was nervous.  Yes, I knew that there were many people in the class who were more knowledgeable than me.  But I gained confidence by remembering to say the phrase, "I don't know, what do you think?"  Of course, I know that most of my confidence came from fervent prayers and faith that the Lord would be with me as I taught about His important love and sacrifice for each of us.  It was amazing!

The last couple of years I have had the opportunity to do a lot of traveling, and this year I started feeling the signs of travel withdrawal.  So I grabbed Kim and we took a short, very relaxing, trip to Park City. 
 I'm not kidding when I say relaxing.  We literally lounged in bed for most of the time!  Other than a short trip to the Heber City Farmer's Market, and two short walks to restaurants, we did nothing except lounge and watch movies, tv, and play games!  Oh we did relax in the hot tub too!
Playing "Name the Mustache"


Baja Cantina



It was very nice to get away.  And it was especially nice to come home to a clean house since the housekeeper came while we were gone.  Score!

A couple of years ago we go the word that my cousin's son had been killed in an accident, he was 21 years old.  My cousin, Kenny, had really struggled with his son's death (something I totally understand) so I had spent some time talking with Kenny and his wife, Michelle, listening to them express their heartache about the loss.

Last week Kenny was killed in an accident.  His car was on the side of the freeway with the hood up and flashers on, apparently he had car trouble.  For some reason he walked into oncoming traffic and was hit by a semi.  What a tragedy.



This is a picture of Kenny's family, TJ, Angie, Corrie, Andy, and my Aunt Carlla.

As I sat in the chapel during the funeral I looked around to see many of my relatives, several of whom I had not seen for many years.  I was overcome with a wave of sadness - of course I was sad for Kenny's friends and family - but also I was very sad for the loss of relationships.  I realized that I didn't even know most of my cousins' children.  We were very close when we were young, staying at each other's houses, having big family parties together.  And then for some reason it just stopped.  I hate that!   
We did have the opportunity to share lunch after the funeral with our cousin, Jodi.  I have only seen her three or four times in the last 20 years.  We had a great time catching up and learning about each other's family.  I really enjoyed getting to know her again.  Jodi is the Director of Operations at Wyoming Downs race track.  

I wish that I could have spent more time with my relatives, but at least I got to catch up with Jodi.  Don't we all look great?

Kalel has been working very hard on building his strength and practicing his back handsprings, and it really shows.  His approach is perfect

He does a great round-off to get good momentum
And away he goes with perfect form.  I'm so proud of him!

Yesterday he did a "flip-off" as a fund raiser, and he did 46 back handsprings in 3 minutes.  What a macho man!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home