Week In Review 5/22/16

 I love teaching, but some classes are definitely better than others.  I realized while I was in the middle of teaching my pharmacology class on Monday that I didn't know the material nearly as well as I should have.  I put some good effort into preparation, but apparently I didn't study nearly as much as I should have.  I had another class of the same subject the next day so I left Monday's class and studied.  Tuesday's class went a little better, but I still struggled.  Don't get me wrong, I did know more than the students, but I wish I would have known it better.  Sometimes I feel like a great impostor, just pretending that I know enough to teach.  Most of the time I pull it off, but not this week.  Consequently I put in lots of overtime preparing for next week.  Hopefully those classes will go better.

Of course Murphy's law always applies, when you are struggling, there will always be more to knock you down.  Last week in my fundamentals class I spent quite a bit of time stressing to the students the benefits of attending every class and the importance of arriving on time.  Besides being respectful to both the teacher and the other students I told them that there was so much information to cover, every minute counts.  I reminded them that class would start exactly at 8:30 each week.  So this week I arrived at school in plenty of time to make final preparations for the class.  I sat in my office for awhile checking assignments that they turned in. Fifteen minutes before class time I gathered my supplies and headed to class.  As I entered the class I was pleasantly surprised to see that the entire class was there - I silently applauded them for listening last week.  And then . . . one of them turned to me and said, "I was just about to call you".  I suddenly realized that I had made a HUGE mistake!  It was now 8:45!  Class started at 8:30, NOT 9:00!   I felt like the biggest idiot on the planet!  After making such a big deal about being on time last week, and then I am the one who was late!  Well, I'm not going to make that mistake again!

This is my fundamentals class practicing the art of
putting on protective wear.
I worked late every day this week, putting in extra effort to be prepared for the coming week.  Hopefully it will pay off.

Thursday Sue and I had lunch at the Training Table next door to the college.Unfortunately I forgot to take any pictures.  Sue and I connected when she was my instructor in nursing school and it is so good to be able to stay connected as peers now.  I think a lot of my teaching techniques have come from imitating her.  She is a wonderful teacher.  Unfortunately we just got word that she is going to be leaving in the fall for a teaching position at her Alma Matter.  It is a great opportunity for her, but I will miss her immensely.

Thursday evening I arrived home just as a major thunderstorm hit.  I was soaked just walking from my car into the house!  There were buckets of rain, massive shows of lightening, thunder that shook the house, and 30 mph winds.  It was quite the storm.

Due to scheduling conflicts I got to take Raelyn to work with me on Friday.  She is really easy to watch, she will just sit and watch a movie and then tell me all about it.  She is quite the jabber box when we are alone but the second anyone else walked into the room she clammed up and wouldn't talk, the cute little stinker!  Unfortunately I didn't have access to the internet at work (probably due to the storm last night) so Rae and I packed up and left about noon so that I could finish preparing my lesson for Monday.

Saturday morning we had both Kalel and Rae in the morning.  I can't believe how much I enjoy those two!  Kalel had a party to celebrate his year of gymnastics and needed a swimsuit so I took him shopping right before the party.  He found the "perfect one" but I was afraid that it wouldn't be big enough so I made him try it on right in the aisle over his clothes!

He was a good sport and did it without complaining!  He was right, it fit.  He is getting so tall and thin.  I can't believe how much he is growing up.
That afternoon we picked up Ash and Mark for a double date at the Deseret Star for the show entitled "Murder on the Frontrunner Express".  It was silly, comical, whimsical and relaxing.  Such a fun time!  The talented singers put on a fabulous show.  I especially liked the final act where they sang the theme songs to many sitcoms.  


There are great photo op places at the Star.  Look at Kim and I in the Phantom of the Opera!

Who knew the phantom had a beard?
After the play we headed to Texas Roadhouse for some great food.  I had a gift card so it was a pretty cheap date for Kim and I.  
Waiting for our table
It is Kim's birthday next week so we had them "Yee Haw" for him.  He said he didn't want it, but look at his smile!


 We had such a fun time with Mark and Ashley!  They are a riot!  Since Ash and I frequent the restrooms we ended up meeting several very nice ladies there!  Ash said that she was just coming to realize that most people in the world are really nice and she is glad to meet them.  What a great and profound thought.  We saw several Red Hat Society ladies at the play.  Ash had never heard of the society and when she learned about it she immediately decided she wanted to join - or even start a group in our area.  She would be perfect in that role!  How fun.  We talked and talked about it.  When she tried to include Mark in the conversation he told her (with tongue in cheek) that she should have realized by now that he didn't have an opinion and that he tuned out her "incessant jammering".  For some reason that comment struck us as so funny that we couldn't stop laughing.  It was so like the two of them - she is so excitable and he is so calm that they just balance each other out.

This morning as I was leaving for church I was surprised by these feathered visitors in the front yard.  They just calmly continued pecking and meandering along regardless of my presence.



Today in church our choir sang "Praise to the Man" arranged by Craig Petrie.  Brian, the choir director, asked me to lead it (because he wanted to sing it) and I was thrilled to do it.  I have to say that it was incredible!  The choir was magnificent!  It never ceases to amaze me how well they do, but today they were over the top!  Kim said that I looked like I was about to take off with my arms waving so hard, but I don't care if he makes fun of me, the choir was AMAZING!  What an honor for me to be part of that!

THIS WEEK I AM GRATEFUL FOR:

The joy of laughter.


Comments

Jodi said…
Oh my gosh! I am dying laughing about you being late! THAT is the best story ever! It's always nice to have a good story or two tucked away for when you "get" to speak in church! haha That takes the cake!

So glad you get time to enjoy your littles! They are so cute!
Love the Phantom pix! You guys have so much fun!
Glad you took a pix of the turks because apparently someone called Animal Control because they laid eggs in their backyard and so they took the eggs and most of the turks! I am so sad! Now we will have to deal with those dang Box Elder bugs again! UGH! They ate them all last year and we haven't seen one in about a year and a half!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home