Week in Review 12/11/16

When we were at our Sister's Retreat we made crafts using Roxane's Cricut paper cutter.  She mentioned to me that if she ever upgraded that she would give me her old one.  I didn't really even think about it until she texted me this week and told me that I could pick up her Cricut as soon as I wanted because she got a new one.  How fun for me!  I immediately went online and ordered some vinyl because I wanted to decorate a few things.

The story gets even better!  My co-worker, Sue, has a plethora of cartridges for the Cricut that she isn't using any more and "gave" them to me to "store" for her until she needs them again.  Whoo Hoo!  Early Christmas for me!  As soon as I got my vinyl I started creating.  Kim had saved some cabinet doors when we remodeled our basement and I made some cute signs.  Here are a few of my creations.  It is a lot of fun, but honestly I'm not sure how much I will use it because I haven't been doing much crafting lately.  We will see.




I got into the doctor this week to change my medication.  Hopefully my emotions will even out now - especially since the dreaded "winter blues" is only a few weeks away.

Tuesday night was our Relief Society Christmas Dinner.  We had Hawaiian Haystacks - my favorite!  I ate too much, as usual.  The decorations were really cute, for place mats the committee just folded wrapping paper into squares - so simple, but very nice!  They also made these decorations for each of us that said:

I was asked to play the piano, and for some reason I couldn't seem to grasp the concept of counting.  Throughout the opening song I felt that I was totally off, and since I have a hard time watching the chorister and the piano at the same time, I felt that I never got on the right beat.  Oh well.  It is so funny how sometimes when I play the piano in public I get amnesia and totally forget important things - like how to count, or even how to play!  It is awful.  Hopefully it will get better as I continue to try to play in Relief Society.

As part of the entertainment we played "Name That Tune".  It was fun to see the sisters try to guess Christmas carols after hearing only 3 or 4 notes.  They were pretty good!  We then played a dice game to gifts from the gift exchange.  We were told to bring white elephant gifts and some of the gifts were quite interesting!  It was a very fun evening.

Thursday I taught half of the last MedSurg class.  I taught about the functions and disorders of the gallbladder and pancreas.  I found a fun site where you can pretend to perform gallbladder surgery on an animated patient that was not only fun but very informative.  I will miss teaching this class.  There are only 5 ladies in the class and they have been a great class to teach.  After class the entire group and Sue and I headed to Olive Garden for lunch.  It was great!

Me, Sue, Rinda, Nicci, Jana, and Measha (missing is Morgan)
Early Friday we had a bad storm with below freezing temperatures making the roads very icy.  Since I had a ton of grading and computer work to do and there would be no students on campus I just worked from home.  It was a  good day and I got tons done.  However, late that afternoon I got a call from Carrie telling me that my boss, Sally, was no longer going to be working for our company!  WHAT?  I couldn't believe it.  Sally has been the best boss that I have ever had.  She is extremely hardworking, knowledgeable, and involved in our work enough that we can go to her at any time for counsel and advice - but she never micromanges her employees.  She has been a mentor to me since  I was attending nursing school.  I have always looked up to her.

The rest of the weekend has been spent in mourning.  I will miss Sally SO much!  In addition, there are hundreds of questions rattling around in my brain about the future and what will happen as a new program director steps in.

Saturday Kim and I spent the whole day trying to dejunk and get ready for Tasha and Zane to visit (YEA!)  It was a busy and hard day, but we got a ton done.  I always hate to dejunk, I'm not very good at it, but it always feels so good when it is done!

That evening we took the Parrishes out to dinner at Idle Isle.  (We owed them since they bought our dinners last time).  Marilyn and I both got the pot roast - it is SO yummy!  And the best part is that there is enough that I can get 2-3 sandwiches out of the left overs.  After dinner we came to our house and watched the new live-action Jungle Book Disney movie.  We were all very impressed at how good it was.


It is really going to be hard when the Parrishes move.  I totally understand their reasons for going, and I would go too if I were in their place, but there will be a big hole in the Olsen lives when they are gone.  They are truly the best kind of friends - they are family.



THIS WEEK I AM GRATEFUL FOR:
Having the opportunity to work with and be mentored by a truly great lady.

Comments

Jodi said…
Oh man, I am tearing up after reading your thoughts about the Parrishes. It's so good for them but like you say it will be hard for all us they leave behind. What a great family we are losing. Waaaaa........ I do wish them well and know it will be good for them, but it's sure hard to say goodbye.

Your signs are awesome! I am impressed! The RS party was fun. I loved reading about your playing the piano because I feel the same. I couldn't play the right beat today in RS and I kept trying and finally gave up and did it in my own beat. haha I keep wondering when it's going to get easier! haha

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Mom is Coming Home

Our 3 Minutes of Fame