January 2018

I usually feel a great let down after the holidays when all the world reverts back to the same-old routine of daily living.  It seems that we have a grand whirlwind of friends, family, fun, and free time that screeches to a halt suddenly with the beginning of the new year.  This year was no exception, although I didn't seem to notice as much as I jumped back into the grind with a major exam looming over me.

My employer strongly encouraged all of the faculty to take the C.N.E. (Certified Nurse Educator) exam.  I scheduled my test the end of January.  I studied, and studied, and studied!  Every spare minute this month was spent in my office studying like crazy.  ~ Side note:  during the last few months I have been seriously considering continuing my education to obtain a doctorate degree.  When you are working in the collegiate world of education there is some pressure to obtain that degree.  I had even started the application process to one school. ~  After studying for the C.N.E. as well as learning of my new grandchild arriving this summer I changed my mind.  I decided that I am in a position in my life where I am too old to go back to school - and most importantly I don't want to be spending all of my time studying when I want to hold grandbabies.  I want free time to visit my cute little Ish in California and I want to spend time playing games with Kalel, and I can't wait to snuggle my new little one.  I already spend too much time working, I do NOT need to add to that stress right now. 

Fortunately I passed the C.N.E. - I'm VERY glad because it was a killer test, and I DO NOT want to take it again!

Last year we got to go to Las Vegas for a great nursing educator's conference in March.  This year the conference was on January 3-4 - right after the holidays.  As a trial this year the conference was broadcast and so we were able to attend from the comfort of our own offices.  It was nice not to have to drive, but I missed seeing the presenters in person.  It is always a great conference and I learned a lot.

This semester I am teaching Maternal/Newborn/Pediatrics on Tuesdays in Murray and Wednesdays in Layton as well as the labs for both of those classes.  I am teaching Pharmacology 1 on Thursdays.  All of my classes are pretty small, 11 students in Murray, 7 in Layton, and 6 in Pharm.  Somehow I didn't end up having any clinicals which has been very nice.  It looks like all of my classes will be good.

We were able to get together with Sally and Sue and her husband.  I have really missed working with them and it was great to visit with them.  We had brunch in a very small place called Pig and a Jelly Jar.  Their food was wonderful, but it was so tiny and crowded (there was a line outside waiting to get it) that we weren't able to talk much.  Next time I hope we go somewhere that only has mediocre food so we can visit longer!
Sue, Darwin, Carrie, me, Sally
Tanja and Lori left before we got a picture
Kim's mother was having some serious chest/abdomen pain so we went down to check her out.  Her heart rate was all over the place and her oxygen sats were low (in the 80's) so we took her to the hospital.  They were quite concerned with her heart rate and blood pressure, so they shipped her to Ogden where she was placed in ICU.  She had a miserable few days in ICU with complications that included ventilation, not receiving as much pain medication as she had been taking at home, and a femoral hemorrhage from an arterial line removal.  She was very sick, but no one was exactly sure why.  All of the family spent many hours at the hospital to support her.  It was touch and go for awhile, but she pulled through and she was eventually able to go to Stonehenge rehab to build up her strength.  They determined that she has Chronic Lymphocytic Lymphoma.

Doug, Dave, Jody, Joan, Jan, Barb, & Kim
My dad was having trouble with his Foley catheter so we had Dr. Larsen place a suprapubic catheter that has a tube that comes out of his bladder by way of the abdominal wall.  It doesn't seem to bother him as much, so I hope this is a good solution for him.  He is certainly declining, and Robin is starting to get caregiver burnout.  We decided to hire Allie's Angels to come every night for two hours to help give her a break.  They bathe him and put him to bed every night.  They are lifesavers!
BJ's 16th birthday (I think)
Things were crazy, busy, and everyone had to work so we pretty much neglected BJ's birthday this year.  I expected to feel really bad about it, but surprisingly did not.  I hope that he is so busy and happy in heaven that he forgives us.

I have been very happy with the weather this January!  Hardly any snow.  I know that we need the snow, but driving has been nice!

Comments

Jodi said…
I think you are awesome for choosing more time with your grand babies in lieu of more education. Life is too short to miss out on family time. Especially with Shandra having another little one! How exciting!
Happy Birthday to BJ! I am glad to hear that you survived not doing anything big.

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Mom is Coming Home

Our 3 Minutes of Fame