January 2019

This year many changes are taking place in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  President Russell M. Nelson is very in tune with what the Lord has in store for His saint and has indicated that there will be more changes to come.
Starting this year, President Nelson with the First Presidency and other leaders of the Church have made the following changes.  Sunday church will only be two hours long.  There will be Sunday School two weeks of the month and Relief Society/Priesthood/Young Men & Women's the other two weeks.  We are instructed to use the extra hour to improve our study time individually and as families.  There is a new curriculum for the home called, "Come Follow Me" that aligns with Sunday School and Primary so that we are all studying about the same thing.  I believe that we are being prepared for the last days when we must have a strong testimony in order to survive the trials which will be coming.
Another change is that we are instructed to use the full name of the church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at all times.  We are not to use initials, LDS, or nicknames, Mormons, because we want the world to know that this church is Christ's Church and as such we need to show respect by using the full name.  Even the websites are being changed, LDS.org, the official website of the church is changing to ChurchofJesusChrist.org

Kalel has started playing Junior Jazz.  His uncle Michael was kind enough to coach his team and takes him to play every week.  Kalel is definitely a first-time player, but he is loving the games and learning a lot.  It is fun to go watch him play!


Tender Mercy

I have started into my dang yearly doldrums and this morning was especially difficult.  When I arrived at work, I walked into the break room to put my lunch into the fridge and said hello to several students who were in there.  I walked into my office and turned when a student, who had followed me from the breakroom, asked, "excuse me, do you live in Brigham?"  I answered that I did, and she then proceeded to tell me that she is a brand-new student here, but she currently works for the Hospice agency and that she had cared for my dad.  She went on to tell me how much she enjoyed working with Dad and that his death has left a huge hole in her heart, as well as many of his other caregivers.  She then asked if she could give me a hug - which of course I agreed to and enjoyed immensely.  It was so sweet of her to go out of her way to find me, I really needed it this morning.  I am very grateful!

Last Sunday I taught for the first time in my new calling as a Relief Society instructor (I am team-teaching with Lindsey Smith the 2nd Sunday of every month).  As a part of the lesson, I challenged the sisters to follow President Nelson's lead and re-read the Relief Society Purpose and then use it to prayerfully create their own "purpose" for their lives.  Of course, I couldn't challenge them without doing it myself, so here goes. . .  Here is the Relief Society Purpose:

And here is mine:
Mine is somewhat broad and simple, but as I thought and prayed about it, the word KIND just kept coming back to me.  I was reading today in 4 Nephi 1:13 and it said, "And it came to pass that there was no contention among all the people, in all the land; but there were mighty miracles wrought among the disciples of Jesus", and it struck me that it truly would be a fabulous thing if there were no contention in the world.  I love the idea of peace and harmony everywhere, with no fighting or arguing.  I imagine that there would still be differences of opinion because each of us has our own thoughts and feelings, but no one would try to impose their ideas on anyone.  We would just appreciate the differences and love each person, no matter what their thoughts.  I would like to be that type of a person, one who loves and appreciates everyone no matter what their opinions, lifestyle, customs, and beliefs.

The new semester started this month and I think that I will have great classes.  It is always fun to get to know the students and their personalities.  This semester I only have 7 students in Maternal/Newborn in Layton and 9 in Murray, and I only have 7 in the NCLEX prep class.  Not too many.  Next semester I will have a lot more, so I'm going to enjoy the small number of assignments to grade right now.

Last month I found a killer deal for a flight to San Diego (only $116 round trip) so I booked the only time I could go - the last week in January.  It was so nice to get out of the yucky January snow and cold and head to the 70-degree weather.  It was absolutely beautiful!  Tasha and Zane have planted a miniature orange bush in their backyard.  It looks so funny, a little bush with great big oranges.  The oranges were a little sour, but they smelled great! They have also been working on a nice fire pit that will be terrific for friend and family get-togethers.  Little Ish is growing so much!  He has definitely reached the point in his development where he knows what he wants and gets mad if he doesn't get it!  But, he is so very cute!  I just love hanging around with him.  In the evenings Tasha and Zane play some indoor soccer with him for family time before bed.  He is getting pretty good (at chasing the ball!).
Tasha had signed up to sell her cookies at a Farmer's Market and so we went with her friend, Allison and son Summit, to check it out.  It was a true Farmer's Market with tons of yummy fruits and vegetables as well as many other things.  We were able to see where her booth would be located and make some display decisions.  She is planning to do some funny Valentine's themed cookies.


Afterward we went home and she made and decorated tons of cookies so she would be ready for the next week's event.  Not only are her cookies adorable, but they also taste so good!  I especially like the vegan brown sugar cookies, they are the best!  It was a fast but fun trip.  I love to visit them in San Diego.  I can't wait for the next time!
Kiaya turned 6 months!  She loves to be in a standing position and has started pulling herself up to furniture every chance she gets.  She is such a happy little girl!  She is such a joy to have around.  


Comments

Jodi said…
I wish I could attend RS just so I could be to YOUR lessons. You are always so insightful and have so much wisdom to share. Your littles are getting so big and so cute!
Once again, Tasha's talent amazes me! I know, because I have done so many cookies and it's not as easy as she makes it look!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home