August 2019

Kim's Mom
This month had a rough start.  I was called down to listen to Joan's lungs because she was having some difficulty breathing and her O2 sats were low.  I couldn't hear any sounds hardly at all in her lungs, but she always breathes very shallow, so I didn't know if there was a problem or not.  She complained that she really didn't feel well.  Jody, Mickel, and David were just leaving for a long trip to Kansas, and Kim was at work, so Jan and I took her to the emergency room.  After several hours, they decided that she was too sick to stay at the local hospital and they transferred her to Ogden.
Tasha brought her a very special puzzle.  It was a sugar cookie made into the shape of a jigsaw puzzle with a cardinal on the front.  Joan refused to eat it because she said it was too pretty!

By this time Joan was seriously ill.  They ended up diagnosing her with pulmonary empyema, a condition where pus from infection builds up in the pleural lining of the lung.
It is extremely painful and causes extreme fatigue and weakness.  Needless to say in her already compromised condition, we were all very worried about her.  That lady has been through so much pain and illness in the last few years - way too much in my opinion.  It was a tense few weeks  It was hard to watch her in so much pain and so weak.  However, she finally rallied and recovered.

A few weeks later Alicia got the idea to throw Joan 89th birthday party and she was even able to get up.  It was great to see her up and able to visit with everyone.


Tuachahn 
Our annual trip to St. George and Tuacahn was marvelous, as usual, but even better because Tasha was able to come with us! Weirdly enough the easiest way for her to accomplish it was to fly to our house and then drive down and back with us.  Zane and Ish came too and spent the time with his family.  Jody wasn't able to go this year because she felt she needed to stay home and care for Joan.

Traveling with Mickel and Kristianne is always fun, they both love music and musicals so we sing and quote and laugh a ton.  We even got in a few games.  We played Nertz even though Tasha and I knew that there was no contest against Mickel and Kristianne who are the fastest players in the world.  I was able to spend a lot of time with Toby and Kim.  It was so good to visit with them!  Toby just bought a house in a retirement community (she is so old!  Almost 5 months older than me).  I'm actually quite jealous, I think I would like to live in a place like that.  Kim is doing really well. Her husband was recently sentenced to life in prison.  She is staying very strong, has maintained great faith, and has remained close to all her family.  She is surprisingly positive.  I admire her so much!
The shows this year were great, of course.  We saw Little Mermaid, Sound of Music, and Wish Upon a Star.  I just love this annual trip!


Hunzeker Visit
Tasha and family were able to stay for another week.  It is always wonderful when they are here.



Zane's parents had a big birthday party for Ish and invited us.  The kids had fun playing in the back yard with balloons and bubbles, Fisher-Price and Tonka trucks, and kiddie lawnmowers.  Tasha tried out a cake made from Trix cereal and waffles that was really good.  The best part was the gift of a pop-up school bus.  Ish loves busses and trucks and he was thrilled!

Little Miss' first-time driving
Family Pictures
I really wanted to get some new family pictures that included our new Little Miss, so I scheduled a session with Annie Parrish, McKay's wife.  She did an awesome job!





Afterward, we had some fun skipping rocks and playing at the reservoir.

Splash Pad Birthday
We had a fun combined birthday party at the Splash Pad for both Ish and Little Miss.  The water was kind of cold and the little ones weren't quite sure what to do with it.


Birthday Triplets
We were able to get some fun pictures with the birthday triplets.  Grandma Joan, Kristianne, and Ish were all born on the same day!

Shandra's Birthday
Kim was working, so Little Miss and I celebrated Shandra's birthday with a dinner at Maddox.  Shandra and I shared a porterhouse steak that was yummy!  We were a little nervous about Little Miss, but she did very well.  She loved watching all of the people around the room and smiling at all of the servers.

Graduation
Graduation time again.  I always get so emotional when my "little babies" grow up and graduate.  We are such a small school, and since I teach students at the beginning, middle, and end of the program, I really have an opportunity to get to know each student.  This class was small, only 7 students, but they will make great nurses.  Once again I was one of the main speakers which is always a great honor.
Class of August 2019
(Top)  Tonya, James, April
(Bottom) Taylor, Tiffany, Jesica, Melissa
New-ish Sofa
My poor sofas have really seen some better days!  They were over 30 years old and most people found when they sat, they would get stuck and not be able to get back out!  I saw this small, used sectional on Facebook Marketplace for a good price and decided to try it out.  Honestly, it wasn't in as good as shape as I had hoped, but I absolutely love the size and color.  It will be good until I can save up enough to get a brand new one.  It fits perfectly in the space.

If I Fits, I Sits
Cute Little Miss is so funny!  Her latest trick is to try to sit in any container, regardless of the size!  She is starting to talk and she is learning how to climb up on the couch and chair.  She hates to sit still and loves to run and explore.  She is such a cute and wonderful addition to our family. 

Traveling
Amidst all of the other activities this month, I got to spend a week in Bakersfield for ATI.  Once again it was a fantastic experience.  I just love doing these NCLEX-Review classes.  This was a class of about 25 and they were all really motivated.  I believe that I learn almost as much as the students when I do these reviews.  I hadn't heard much good about Bakersfield, but I found it to be a very nice town.  It was very hot, but I had planned on that.  It actually was about the same temperature as home.

Kalel
Kalel is growing, he is getting taller and taller.  He thinks that since he is nearing the magic teen years he should be shaving, therefore he frequently is found with soap foam covering his chin claiming that he is growing a beard!  Almost every day he climbs and hangs out at the top of the maple tree in the front yard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home