November 2019

Unitek Conference
On the 1st of November Unitek (the company that owns my school) sponsored a one-day convention centered around the theme of "Infusing Caring into Teaching and Learning".  The Keynote speaker was Dr. Jean Watson who is quite famous in nursing education circles.  She is known for her Caring Theory which encourages nurses (and educators) to really care for their patients (students) as well as themselves.  I really like her principles.  As I was listening I was thinking how her principles go with my goal for the year, to focus on being kind, and how it links so closely with Christ's admonition to "love one another".  If we all focused on these principles, the world would be such a better place!  I'll admit, I have been so busy lately that I haven't focused as much as I should on being kind - I'm glad that I had an opportunity to be reminded.
My co-workers & Jean Watson
Jamie, Randy, Amber, Jean, Audrey, & Andy

Aunt Lona's Birthday
My Aunt Lona had a celebration for her 80th birthday.  She is my mother's sister.  My sisters and I were so excited to see her and her children.  We have so many memories with Aunt Lona and our cousins when we were young.  Aunt Lona and Uncle Gary lived in rural Syracuse where Gary raised and trained cutter-race horses. Some of our favorite memories were the Thanksgivings we spent there.  They had a very long family room where we put several tables end-to-end and there was always room for everyone.  After dinner, Gary would hitch up some horses, often great, big Morgans, to a wagon and we would go on a hayride around the town singing Christmas carols. After the hayride, we would gather around the television to watch whatever Christmas special was on television.  Often it was Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer or Charlie Brown's Christmas.  Our cousins were similar in age to me and my sisters so we had a lot of fun together.  It was so good to see Aunt Lona and to catch up with our cousins, some of which we haven't seen for many years.  We laughed and reminisced and had a great time.  We talked about how much we missed the Thanksgivings of the past and decided we would get together for our own version of Thanksgiving - only we would do it in the summer, since there will be long drives for some of us, LOL.  We all committed to getting together.  I can't wait.  What a great day!
Left to Right:
Back:  Audrey, Jodi, Roxane, Vaun
Front:  Cari, Ashley, Lona, Robin, Loni
Newsies
The high school production was Newsies this year.  Shandra and I took Kalel and Robin and Ash brought their boys.  It was really good.  The character who played Crutchie did a fantastic job, however the student who played Jack did a good job, but he was a little weak.  The productions at the high school are always so good that sometimes it is difficult to remember that they are just teenage students, so when one is a little weak I find myself getting a little judgemental - SHAME on me!  It was really a good show.




San Diego
Kim and I decided to take an early Thanksgiving trip to San Diego to see Tasha, Zane, and Ish.  We had an absolutely marvelous time!
Tasha giving Kim's hair a buzz
Ish is at such a fun age!  He talks up a storm and is so smart!  He loves trucks, and busses, and construction vehicles.  He loves to watch the "Stinky and Dirty" show about a garbage truck and a backhoe.  If he hears a bus or truck outside he races to the window to watch it, calling for everyone to join him in the fun.  He absolutely loves his Grandpa.  He calls him "Bobble", probably from us saying Grandpa Bob.  Many, many times while we were there he would call, "Bobble, Bobble,
B-O-B-B-L-E!!"  "Bobble, watch me!"  "Bobble, chase me", or "Bobble, hold me!" 
We spent a very pleasant day playing at a fun park.  Tasha and Ish's friends, Allison and Summit, joined us.  It was so fun!  However, the two boys would NOT pose for a picture together.  Driving home in the car Ish used his "magic fingers" to change the traffic lights from red to green.  He reminded us at every light to help him use "magic fingers".
We were only able to stay for a few days, and the time always goes so fast.  I'm so proud the Hunzekers and all they have accomplished there in San Diego, but I sure do miss them.  I am so very grateful for cell phones and videocalls and Marco Polos that allow us to stay in close contact with them.

Thanksgiving
We were not able to use a church for Thanksgiving this year, but Alicia's mother, Eva Jane, graciously offered her remodeled workshop for the family.  Alicia's sister, Carol, and family joined in and we all had a wonderful time.  It was actually my favorite Thanksgiving in a long time.  The food was excellent and the company was wonderful.  The California Olsens were there, with the exception of Alek and Lexie who just had a baby.  Shandra, Kim, and I sat near Abby, her friend Seth, Piper, and Taylor and had a very enjoyable visit.  Doug and Lori ended up staying at our house which was tons of fun. 

Black Friday Frozen II
Since I no longer join my sisters in Black Friday shopping, I decided to take a break from studying and join Kim, Shandra, and Kalel in seeing the latest Disney show - Frozen II.  You never know how sequels are going to be, but we were happy to find that this one was excellent.  All of us loved it. 

School Woes
This month has been extremely stressful as far as my education goes.  Taking two classes at a time is doable, but it is extremely difficult to have a life outside of school.  I usually don't like to do homework on Sundays, but it has been impossible to get everything done without doing homework on Sundays.  It is common to have to write two five-page papers a week.  I was toying with the idea of taking two classes at a time so that I could finish a year quicker, but I physically don't think it is possible so I'm just going to do one class and take several years to finish. 

As much as I complain about the homework, I have to admit that I really do like school.  I love the learning, the challenges.  Although it stresses me out, I love the discipline to have to complete assignments by a specific deadline.  It is really different since I am studying education as a whole and not nursing subjects, in fact, I am the only nurse in both of my classes.  It is a very different atmosphere.

Kim's Memes






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home