January 2020, A New Year, A New Decade

I decided to make a list of important events in the last decade, I have to admit that it is a pretty expansive list!  No wonder I am always tired!

2010 -- Started nursing school at Eagle Gate College
2011 -- Went to Hawaii for the first time
2012 -- My mother died, my Father-in-law died. The job I would have forever was terminated. I graduated and became an RN, started working as an L&;D nurse. My baby got married and I gained a new son-in-law
2013 -- Moved my baby to San Diego and took the entire family to Disneyland. I visited the Oregon Coast for the first time. Remodeled most of the house
2014 -- Completed BSN, obtained a Master’s Degree in Nursing, Took a cruise to Alaska
2015 -- Started doing family history, started teaching nursing at Eagle Gate College. Cheered as a brother-in-law got a liver transplant
2016 --Watched that same brother have a debilitating stroke, Lost another brother-in-law to diabetes complications. Realized how severe dad’s dementia was getting, Lost the husband of my “adopted” sister. Quit working as a nurse at the hospital
2017 – Best friends moved to Texas, Became a grandma for the 2nd time.
2018 -- Moved Dad to a memory care facility, My first granddaughter was born, Dad passed away
2019 -- Started DNP (Doctorate of Nursing Practice) program, changed gears and started EdD (Doctor of Education) program

I taught the lesson in Relief Society this month alone because my partner, Lindsey, was called to be the new Primary President.  I miss Lindsey but I don't mind doing it alone.  The lessons are always amazing!  We have the sisters sit in a large circle which makes it feel more like a discussion as it is supposed to be.  I love the format mostly because I enjoy the comments from the sisters so much!  I love the opportunity to be "forced" to study the Conference talks.  Somehow it seems that each one was directed right at me.  Lindsey directed me to a fantastic site, "Chicken Scratch 'N Sniff" that creates questions to think about related to the talk.  I usually use several of those questions when presenting the lesson and the sisters respond beautifully.  I'm sure that I get much more out of the lessons that anyone else does!.
This week the lesson was the talk by Elder Dallin Oaks on the "Two Great Commandments" and it focused on the need to love God first which helps us to love our neighbor.  We talked about the importance of loving ourselves, the difference between loving ourselves and pride.  We also talked about loving others that openly oppose God's commandments - loving the sinner without loving the sin.  There were so many great comments where sisters shared personal situations and things that have helped them obey the two great commandments.  It was wonderful, and especially good for me right now during my January YUCKS!  I read this great meme the other day and shared it during the lesson because I think it is awesome!


Kiaya's latest antics:  she goes into my office and commands, "Aca, STOP!"  The funny thing is that she is trying to say Alexa - and Alexa isn't even playing!  I'm sure she says this because we have Alexa play music when she is going down for a nap and when she wakes up we always say, "Alexa, stop".  

She is now 18 months old and she is such a character!  She is almost always happy, and she talks all of the time.  She hates a clean floor, she feels the need to dump all of her toys out of their containers so there is always a minefield to walk around.  

I just love toddlers!








Lori, Doug's wife, was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She was very lucky in that she was having a biopsy on another part of her breast, but she felt strongly that the doctor should also take a biopsy in another spot.  The other spot was where they found the cancer.  She is scheduled to have a double mastectomy at the end of the month and then will have to wait for the results to determine if she will need chemo or radiation.  She has a very positive attitude.  We are praying for good results.





Mark's ITP Adventure

Post from Ashley's Facebook Page:  Fun weekend for us. Thursday Mark had these huge bruises. I made him go to the doctor Friday. The doctor immediately sent him to Emergency at McKay-Dee. Four doctors later. A hematologist (blood doctor) later. He had extremely low blood platelets. 1,000. Normal is 200 thousand. Scary! Risk of a possible stroke or bleed out. So he was admitted to the hospital. Major steroids and drugs. It was really scary. Platelets finally started coming back up! He is home now. He has to stay on steroids for a long time and have regular blood draws. He is off work until platelets are back to normal. He feels ok, just light-headed and really weak. 80%chance this will happen again, so we have to keep watch. Not a fun weekend for us. But out of worry zone and looking up. Decided getting old is not fun!

Mark was diagnosed with ITP - Idiopathic Thrombolytic Purpura, meaning that for some reason his immune system started killing off his platelets so his blood isn't clotting very well.  idiopathic means they don't know exactly what is causing it.  At first, they were worried about leukemia, but they ruled that out.  Hopefully, they will find some answers soon because right now he can't even go back to work.  They are supposed to go on a cruise next month, I hope they get to go.

Kalel School Presentation
Shandra had to work so I got to go with Kalel to see his latest work.  His class studied soil and ecosystems, they even spent a couple of days in Southern Utah studying the desert and rocks.  They were then divided into teams to design a section of their playground to scale.  Kalel said it was really hard because every time they added or changed anything they would have to start all over with their grid drawings.  I am impressed with the projects they do at his school and how they apply to real life.  The school will use the students' designs to actually build the playground area.


I got extremely sick at the end of the month, the worst cough that I have ever had.  I was so sick that we decided to postpone BJ's birthday celebration.  I missed a whole week of school, and at one point I almost went to the hospital because it was so bad.  I honestly believe that I have never been that sick with influenza before.  It was horrible!  I don't know where I got it, but I sure hope it doesn't spread!



KIM'S FAVORITE MEMES 
this month













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home