My New Kitchen


 It all began as an idea for a Christmas gift.  Shandra came up with the idea and recruited Kim and Tasha to join in.  For some reason, they believed that I needed a new kitchen floor.  Could it be that they didn't like the look of the duct tape holding the linoleum in place?

Shandra picked out absolutely beautiful flooring, and I got all excited to start installing it.  But WAIT!  As I started looking around the rest of the kitchen - this is what I saw.  Green cabinets with disgustingly filthy handles and brown laminate counter tops with several burn mark scars.
This cabinet lost a door several years ago!  Kim said that we were starting a new trend, but I didn't agree!

I have always hated that fact that my counter top space was so limited, and oft times things got lost in this pantry.

Of course I couldn't put new flooring in a kitchen in such a pathetic state, so we marched right down and ordered new cabinets, counter tops, a new fridge (because the old one wouldn't fit with our new configuration), a new wall-mounted microwave, as well as a new french door to replace the sliding glass door that was miserable to open.

And THEN . . . the real fun began!
This was the inside of the pantry - YUCK!
Kalel was a great helper!

Tearing out the pantry


For 2 1/2 months we lived out of boxes stacked in the living room.  We used a big box in the hall as a dining table.  We stacked disposable "china" in our linen closet and cooked in the microwave on my desk in my study!  Needless to say, it was AWFUL!


Kim and his brother David are master handymen.  Together I believe that there isn't anything that they can't do!
The day we put in our new french door there was blizzard outside!  Our house was FREEZING!

We were very fortunate to have my brother-in-law Mark lend his expertise to have the door installed in no time!






Shandra tearing out the old floor

Mert and Dan donate hours to help.

Finally the first cabinets are installed!
The base cabinets and counter tops.

Finally!  The floor is laid!

And . . . . . Here it is - the finished product.  It was not fun during the process, but I absolutely LOVE it now!  I love having more counter top.  I love how open it feels.  I love the floor!  I love the hickory cabinets (Kim hand picked them to make sure that the most color showed)!





Was it worth it?  Absolutely!  
However, it will be a long time before we undertake another remodel (at least if Kim has his way!)

Comments

Doran & Jody said…
Oh my gosh!!!
How exciting for you!!!
I need to come over and drool!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home