Thanksgiving and Black Friday

I am truly grateful for all of the many, many blessings in my life.  I am so grateful for my Savior who made it possible that I may have the opportunity to be with my son (as well as my mom and father-in-law) after this life.  I thank God every single day for my fantastic family and for my wonderful friends.  I am so thankful that I live in a country where freedoms abound - and the list goes on and on.  I try each and every day to have an "attitude of gratitude".  It is awesome that each year we have a day set aside to spend with our family and friends, giving thanks and remembering the blessings that we have - not to mention the FOOD!  I LOVE the Thanksgiving feast, and look forward to it for weeks before.
That said - my Thanksgiving this year did not necessarily reflect my gratitude attitude I am afraid.  Yes, it was fantastic that we could gather together with the Olsen clan.  Tasha and Zane joined us and Zanes parents and sister came also.  The food was terrific!  
However, the retail market - trying to gain every dollar possible - decided to begin Black Friday on Thanksgiving at 8 p.m.  Of course, some of the very best sales were available only at that time, so consequently the lines started forming at 6 p.m.  Since we were staying in a motel in Layton, I felt compelled to leave Thanksgiving dinner just as soon as it was over in order to prepare for our shopping excursion.  I didn't stay to visit and enjoy friends and family, and even worse, I didn't stay to help clean up.

Everyone knows that I look forward to Black Friday shopping all year long.  However this year just didn't feel right.  I felt so guilty for leaving the Thanksgiving dinner early that I had a hard time enjoying myself.  Added to that was the fact that all of the retail employees had to sacrifice their own Thanksgiving celebrations so that we greedy shoppers could spend our money.  Bottom line is that it is just wrong, and I will not do that again.  I know that my one voice will not change the entire retail industry - but at least I will not support it.  From now on, my Black Friday shopping will begin on Friday.

We did enjoy ourselves.  Kenzie joined Robin and I for the festivities.  
We got a great motel in Layton, Best Western Layton Park, that had just barely opened up.  We were actually the first people to use the room!  I have already booked it again for next year!

Waiting in line at Walmart, our place in line was in the cereal aisle. 

We got tons of comments on our fun "BFads" shirts.
We shopped and shopped and shopped. Then we went back to the room to wrap, wrap, wrap, wrap and wrap.  We stayed up for 36 hours straight!  It was exhausting, but fun as always!

Ashley joined us for part of the afternoon Friday

 Fun, fun times!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home