October Challenge #14-- What is the story behind your name?

According to Behind the Names.com the Meaning & History of my name is:

"Medieval diminutive of ÆÐELÞRYÐ. This was the name of a 7th-century saint, a princess of East Anglia who founded a monastery at Ely. It was also borne by a character in Shakespeare's comedy 'As You Like It' (1599). "

My mother chose the name because she found that the name Audrey means  noble strength.

My father wanted to name me Allison, but my mother won!

I never really liked the name because when I was young "Little Audrey" became popular and I didn't like being associated with it.
  
And then when I got into junior high school people started shortening it to 'Aud', which soon became 'Odd' and then morphed into 'Oddball'.  No one was ever mean about it, and I liked having a nickname so I didn't make a big deal about it, but now I look back I realize that I never really liked being called that.

Of course, I never minded being named after the very classy and beautiful Audrey Hepburn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home