Week in Review 4/13/16

I am finding that it is very bittersweet to arrive at the end of a semester.  This week I taught the final lecture for the fundamental students and they will take their final exam next week.  After seeing the same students day after day, sharing experiences both in class and in clinicals, and getting to know each of them personally it is hard to know that they will be moving on to bigger and better things.  I will miss them in the fundamentals class.  However, I recently found that I will get to teach them again next sememster in their pharmacology class, YEA!  And, I will get these same students in their 6th semester for their Maternal/Newborn class.  So, it isn't like I'm never going to see them again.  It is just that they were just babies in the world of nursing when they started my class 15 weeks ago, and now they have some great knowledge and skills and are ready to embark on the next challenge.

It is a little frightening to be starting a new class of fundamental students.  There will be all new students, new personalities, new strengths and weaknesses, and it is up to me to give them the tools so that they can begin safely in the world of nursing.  I'm looking forward to getting to know them, but a little intimidated also.  The new class starts the first week in May.

After finally seeing some weather that is nice and warm, perfectly springlike, I came to the conclusion that I needed to get off my rear end and go for a walk to enjoy the sun.  Luckily Marilyn was more than willing to join me.  Actually it went something like this:
Bringggg (I call Marilyn)
Marilyn:  Hello
Audrey:  Is there a chance you could talk me into going for a walk this evening?
Marilyn:  Really?  I was just sitting here hoping someone would call and talk me into going for a walk!

So, we both put on our shoes and headed out the door.  Even though I am terribly out of shape (did I mention that I was breathing hard just walking to her house?) we had a very enjoyable time and walked over two miles!  Not too bad!

The next day I was in a great mood all day, I supposed it was because I had gone out walking the evening before.  It was good to get some fresh air, some great company, some exercise, and some vitamin D.

I decided that it had been too long since I had spent time with my sister, Robin - and I stilled owed her lunch from her birthday in February - so we headed over to Red Robin (YUM) for some great burgers.
We had a great visit!  I miss spending time with Robin.  I'm going to have to be more proactive about visiting with her.

After a very productive week at work, I left a bit early on Friday and stopped at the Ogden Temple on my way home and did a session.  This was my first time to go to the Ogden Temple since it was remodeled.  It was absolutely beautiful!  Still very familiar, but with many changes also.  I had a nice session.  It was kind of nice to go alone and just spend the time thinking.
It has been awhile since I have attended the temple and it felt good to be there.  A saying that I heard many years ago has been running through my head:  "If you are too busy to go to the temple, then you are too busy".  I need to make time for the temple more often.

That night we had a girl's night - Jalyn, Marilyn, Shandra, Ashley and I went to see the new movie,
****Spoiler Alert****
It is a remake of the fabulously popular (at least in LDS crowds) stage performance on the 1970's.  I thought that the movie was very well done, the main lead, Kenny Holland, did a marvelous job.  It was cheesy of course, but still had a very dramatic impact on the entire audience.  I remember when I saw the play in 1978 I was overwhelmed with emotion and was brought to tears.  I was prepared to feel the same way in the movie, and was actually quite proud of myself when one of the main characters died and I didn't feel the need to shed a tear!  Of course, the very next scene opened the floodgates!  When Pam joined Emily in heaven, lifted her up and hugged her, I fell apart!  It was as though the scene completely opened my eyes and I could see BJ embracing loved ones the very same way in heaven.  I received a very strong witness that families are forever, that we will have the opportunity to be with our loved ones in heaven.  I KNOW it.  It was very powerful.  Of course, the tears then continued throughout the remainder of the movie.  It was a little sadistic of me, but I was comforted to know that I wasn't the only one crying, the sound of  sniffles was heard from every direction in the theater.  In fact, after the movie we ran into Jodi and Dave, Jodi was just coming out of the restroom where she said she was fixing her makeup after her crying fest.
Ashley, Audrey, Shandra, Jalyn, Marilyn

It was a fun, fun evening.  What a great group of ladies! I had a marvelous time visiting with Jalyn who I don't see nearly often enough.  She and I had a very hard time not singing along with the movie.  That was part of the fun!

Saturday we were off to Salt Lake for Kalel's State gymnastic's meet.  It was a fun day, and even better because Julie and Aimee Johnson joined us to cheer for Kalel.
It was a great day.  Kalel placed 3rd on the tramp and 2nd on the floor.  He still is having difficulty performing the pike, but once he gets that we believe that he will soon be moving to the next level.  He is so strong!  Julie made the mistake of locking her keys in her car and had to wait several hours for another key to be delivered, which worked out perfectly because she was able to stay for the whole meet.  Both Kalel and Raelynn fell in love with Aimee, and who wouldn't, she is absolutely adorable and great with kids!

After church today I decided that it was time to return the Wilding's Chocolate Ecstasy dish and tradition warrants that it be returned with brownies, so I baked.  After finishing theirs, I decided to try one of the brownie mixes we got for Christmas.

Now, I'm not exactly sure of the reason, but both Kim and I felt that these brownies were the best we had ever tasted!  Perhaps it was the brand, perhaps it was the frosting glaze on top.

Perhaps it was my own special twist on the ingredients!  The truth is that I really shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen.  I tend to make a mess of most everything that I do.  These brownies were DELICIOUS!  And they were so moist that you couldn't eat them with your fingers because they would just fall apart.  My secret to the moistness . . . . misread the instructions.  The recipe called for 2 Tablespoons of water, should be easy enough,  Nope.  I added 1/3 cup of water!  It was just a lucky break that they tasted good.

I got a call from my favorite "adopted" missionary son tonight.  Daniel Waters called we had a great visit.  He is the most spiritual man I have ever met and is raising his family to all have great knowledge and testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  His beautiful wife just delivered baby #4.  They are now living in Arizona and Daniel is going to bring his scouts up to Utah this summer.  Hopefully we can coordinate schedules well enough to get in a good visit.
Daniel and Kaylen



THIS WEEK I AM GRATEFUL FOR:  Chocolate.  It is a curse, it is wonderful, it is addictive, it promotes a great mood.  It tastes good.

Comments

Jodi said…
I love what you wrote (shared your testimony) about the movie. I feel the same way and I need to probably go back and edit it and add more of my testimony in it. It was inspiring to read what you felt.
Oh my gosh that photo of you girls at the movie is so cute!
As for your brownies! DELISH! BUT HOW HOW HOW did you make them so pretty? With the swirls? And you also didn't share what the glaze was. Mmmm
I'm grateful for chocolate too! Life would be so sad without it!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home