Week in Review 7/24/16




Happy Pioneer Day!
Lately I have been thinking a lot about my ancestors who were pioneers, those early members of the Church who literally sacrificed all they had so that I could be raised in a place where being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is not only easy but pretty much common place.  A place where all are free to worship in peace with little if no harassment.

Today several members of our ward reported on the recent "trek" they went on.  It was a stake activity where all of the youth were arranged into "families" with adult "Ma's & Pa's" at the head.  They reenacted a portion of the pioneer trek from Missouri to Utah - of course the stake only traveled 30 miles in 4 days instead of over 1,000 miles in 3-4 months.

The reports were all great, but a couple of them really touched me.  I honestly can't remember their words, but I was overcome with emotion as they talked of working together, helping each other, and feeling help from heavenly sources.  They got just a small feel of what the actual pioneers experienced.  I'm so grateful for those pioneers.  I'm not sure that I would have had the determination, strength, or faith to do it.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to be filled with emotion the last few days.

Friday the lady who cleans my house talked me into going to Yoga In the Park.  Of course, I can't do anything alone so I drug Ash and Marilyn along with me.
Here we are getting ready to start with full bellies after the ward party.
Don't we look excited?
 It truly was an amazing experience for me.  I have dabbled in yoga a little in the past, but I have never actually attended a class.  This instructor, Keirshia, was phenomenal.  She took us through the practice in a way that made us feel confident and relaxed.  In the past I have spent so much time trying to figure out how to do the poses and always playing catch up that I can never actually relax.
Although this is not us, I'm sure that we looked just this good!
This instructor was perfect, I never felt like I was behind, and the poses she had us do were simple enough that even I could do them.  I found that I was able to focus more on my breathing and less on feeling stupid.  At the end she had us lay back, relax and focus heavily on our breathing.  I found that I was aware of the sounds going on around me, but they did not bother me.  The most important thing - I was able to actually relax!  It was a completely opposite feeling than I had while I was camping.  In the park I felt relaxed in a way that I have rarely been able to feel before.  It was an incredible feeling, so much so that I actually started crying!  The feeling as well as the tears continued long after I got home!  I believe I need to make yoga part of my life, I NEED to be able to feel and relax like that.  Unfortunately my schedule is not conducive to attending many classes with Keirshia.  I'm going to have to try to work something out.

Before we went to yoga we went to our ward dinner at the park (another park).  There were tons of people there and we had great food.  I actually made Frog-eye salad!  I ate way too much and went to yoga with a very full stomach.  I'm surprised that I didn't explode while doing the poses!
Heather - what else can we add?

Marilyn and I

Kim, smiling sweetly, with Emily and Maddie


It's hard to see, but Johnny is absolutely dripping with sweat.
The temperature was about 98* and he slaved over the grill for hours.  We sure appreciate him!
We sure have some great times with our ward.  There are so many people in this ward that make it wonderful!  We love hanging out with our ward friends.

Saturday we joined Mont and Marilyn for a trip to the Brigham City temple.  IT WAS SO GOOD TO GO!  It was a fabulous session and one that was sorely needed.
After the temple we decided to try out the new restaurant in town, Corbins.  It was really good, but a bit expensive.  Well, it won't have been so expensive except I couldn't turn down a dessert of Creme Brulee.  I should have turned it down, it was good, but not $8 good.  My soup and sandwich were excellent.

I started a new Family History class today.  We had so many sign up for the class that I had to push many to the next session (good and bad, I guess).  It is always exciting and interesting to start a new class.  Most everyone in this class is totally inexperienced at doing family search so it should be a lot of fun to see them learn and accomplish great things.  It ended up being a big class even though I cut it in half - there were nine students today!


This week I am grateful for pioneers who sacrificed so much so that we could life as we do.

Comments

Jodi said…
Your yoga class sounds wonderful. I have only dabbled in it a bit but I think it is something worth pursuing even with your busy schedule! We missed the ward party but sounds like you had a good time! You look like the only ones in Corbins! I wonder how much longer it will last? The food is good though!
I AM going to get in your SS class one of these days! I need help with Family History! And goes to show what a great teacher you are if your classes are always overflowing!
Doran & Jody said…
Looks like a wonderful week!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home