Week in Review July 17, 2016

This week was fairly uneventful, just a good week.  I did have a fun morning on Tuesday.  I had scheduled to visit with one of my students before class.  Right before she arrived another one of my students showed up to turn in some work that she thought she had turned in previously but found at her house.  I guess she wanted to bribe me to not mark the work late so she brought me a Dr. Pepper.  I had to laugh because my adiction is so well known and everyone knows that I am frustrated because the school vending machines don't stock it any more .  I thanked her and then went into my office with the other student.  When the second student saw the Dr. Pepper in my hand she got a huge smile on her face and reached into her backpack and brought out two more DPs for me!  We got a great laugh out of that!

Unfortunately I drank one before I remembered to take a picture!
Thursday my co-instructor/friend, Sue, and my boss/friend, Sally, went to lunch together at the Training Table.  They have such good burgers and cheese fries!  I feel so fortunate to work with these great ladies!  We had a terrific lunch, and even got a little bit of work done.  Of course, I forgot to take pictures.

Here is a picture the last day of clinicals this semester.  It was a great clinical experience for the students and I was very proud of the learning they achieved.
Me, Measha, Nicci, Megan, and Rinda
I didn't have to go into work on Friday because I worked so many hours before then, so I was able to spend a good portion of the day with Tammy.  It has been AGES since we have been able to hang out, and it was great to spend the day with her.  There was a time (before I went back to school) that we spent every Thursday together.  I miss that, a lot!  We got turkey burgers from Maddox and drinks from Fizz for lunch and then we just talked and talked, catching up on all of the news of our families.  Of course, I forgot to take pictures!

After that, because I had some rare down time I threw in some laundry and then played several hours of Settlers of Catan on the computer.  It was wickedly relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable.

I got in a couple of visits with dad this week, one day Kim and I took him down to the Olsens with us to visit.  The Olsens are so hospitable, they just welcomed him in and included him in the conversation.  Dad's memory is getting really spotty.  On the way home out of the clear blue he asked me, "who is Renny Bott?"  as if he knew he should know but couldn't remember.  I reminded him that Renny is his neighbor and that they go bike riding almost every morning together.  I'm not sure that he remembered then or if he pretended he did.  When I visited today he told me at least 6 times that he had just recently found his glasses, that they had shatter-proof lenses, and that he could see better without them than with them.  At one point he started the story about the glasses and then just continued telling the story over and over, circling around until I finally was able to break in to change the subject.  It was like he was stuck and couldn't quit.  I offered to cook him some scrambled eggs for dinner and he was so pleased.  I know he gets so lonely, I need to be better at visiting with him.

Saturday Kim and I went over to our neighbor's to install a handrail for them.

Carole recently had hip surgery and Jack is struggling with kidney failure so they aren't able to do a lot for themselves.  I am always in such awe of Kim and his willingness to help out anyone in need.  And he is so incredibly handy, he can fix or build just about anything.  Kalel and I did help a little, Kalel played with Coda their full-sized poodle puppy and then we carried rock salt in from the carport and placed it in their water softener downstairs.

Today in Sacrament meeting Dallin Wheatley gave his farewell talk before leaving on his mission next week.  He did such a great job, he spoke about the atonement.  My favorite part was when he read from Alma 7:11-13 where Alma explains that through the atonement Christ took upon Him all of the sins and sorrows and cares of the world.  He explained that no one knows exactly how Christ accomplished that, but many people think of it as big weight that Christ bore as he atoned for every person.  Dallin explained that he likes to think of it as instead of Christ bearing everything at once, he thinks of it as if there were a huge line of spirits, both post life and those who had not been born yet.  Each spirit had his turn to kneel with Christ, individually, as Christ took upon him our sins, our infirmities, and sorrows.  This way of thinking really struck a cord to me, it feels right, and it makes the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ more personal to me as an individual.

After helping people in my Family History class find stories of their ancestors that they could take with them on Trek I have been feeling a desire to find some stories of my own and today I hit the jackpot!  I found an incredible history of my great, great, great grandparents that was quite detailed.  Their names were James Bennett and Ellen Pincock.
James and Ellen Bennett
They lived in England and married in 1830.  They were taught and baptized by Heber C. Kimball and confirmed by Orson Pratt on the first mission of the church.  They eventually traveled to Nauvoo and helped to build the temple.  They were some of the last to receive their endowments there before being forced to leave with almost nothing to head west.  They ended up staying in Council Bluffs for several years while James helped build wagons for the saints and for merchandise going to Salt Lake.  They finally arrived in Utah and settled in Kaysville where they remained for the rest of their lives.

Another find was that of another set of great, great great grandparents, William Anderson Stewart and Cynthia Phylinda Terry.
Cynthia Phylinda Terry
William Anderson Stewart



William was born in Alabama and was baptized with his family by the missionaries there in 1842.  They soon left to join the saints in Missouri where William's father passed away.  From the account, "On 14 January 1845, George died of chills and fever, leaving Ruthy with nine children and one more being born three months after his death. His last request was for his wife to stay with the Saints even if it took all their earthly possessions to do so, because he wanted their children brought up in the Gospel."  They crossed the plans and settled in Utah.
In 1853 William married Jane Neal Browning.  12 years later he was called to help settle St. George.  While there he was called to the practice of polygamy and encouraged to take another wife.  Jane helped him choose his second wife, Cynthia Phylinda Terry who was only 18 years old.  Together the three of them and their children relocated to central Utah.  William was a great musician and played the violin for many functions, including to accompany the hymns in church.  They had many encounters with hostile Indians.  To protect themselves they built a"dugout" house, two rooms that had been dug out of the ground and then walled with rock.  Jane and children lived in one room and Cynthia and children lived in the other room.

 I found these dugout houses on the internet, I don't know if they are like my ancestors, but it gives me something to think about.


Later William built a two-room log cabin on top of the dugout and Jane lived in it while Cynthia continued to live in the dugout.  Then as the family grew, they built three adobe rooms across the front of the house, making it a T-shaped house.  Aunt Jane lived in the adobe house and Cynthia lived in the large two rooms.  The following is a picture of their home.
The thing that most amazed me about this story is that Jane had 12 children, 10 who lived, and Cynthia had 12 children, 11 who lived.  They must have been sleeping right on top of each other!  It makes me very ashamed for thinking things like, "this kitchen is too small" or other selfish things like that!  William was arrested and jailed twice for polygamy.

My grandmother, Odetta, her mother, Leona,
her mother, Alzina, and her mother, Cynthia
So, I am very grateful to learn this information about my ancestors, to learn how valiant and brave they were.  It makes me feel good to know that I have come from such incredible people who didn't know that they were incredible for they were just living they life they had to live.  Hopefully I will be less selfish now that I know these stories.  How grateful I am to someone who made these stories possible to bring these people to life for me.


This week I am grateful for:
My very strong and valiant ancestors.

Comments

Doran & Jody said…
WOW! What a great week!
Kudos on the good stuff and I didn't realize Swalwells were having difficulty. It feels like we are in another state since we've been realigned.

BTW...I miss you and especially our chatty walks.
Jodi said…
Wow on all the info you have on your ancestors! That story is so cool. One day I hope to be able to discover those kind of things as well. Maybe after I take your class! :)
Love the Dr. Pepper story! FUN week!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home