Week in Review 8/14/16

This week marks the end of the semester for most of the classes at Eagle Gate - I do have one class that will finish up next week.  It is always bittersweet to have the semester end.  At the beginning it seems like the semester stretches out forever with endless lessons to prepare, assignments to grade, and tests to write (not to mention students to get to know).  But it really doesn't last that long when looking back.  As I look back I worry that I taught the students everything that they need to know and in a way that they can progress on in their education.  I am sad because the class has become comfortable and now face starting over again.  However, I am excited to start over and get to know a new set of students.

This next semester I will be taking on a new class and along with that a new set of challenges.  I am going to be team-teaching the Med-Surg class along with all of their labs.  Fortunately I will be teaching with a fantastic, experienced teacher, so I am viewing this as a great opportunity to learn a great deal more while having Sue there as my safety net.

Monday morning I got a call from my dad.  He was very confused.  He thought that someone had broken in his house during the night and stole his wallet and keys.  He then got very agitated and decided that one of my sisters was the one stealing from him.  When he gets so confused it is not possible to reason with him.  Needless to say we were worried about him. We found later that he had hidden them under his pillow so that no one would steal them.  Funny thing is that the very next day he was totally lucid, and even remembered how he had felt when he was confused.  It is so hard to see him struggle with these issues!  My sisters and I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide if he is safe to remain at home alone and exploring options.  It is so HARD!  We wonder if he is having mini-strokes when he has these times of confusion because it is often followed by a period of great weakness.  We decided that he is not ready to be taken away from his home yet and are looking for more options of help that can go into his home.

Tuesday night I was driving home from Eagle Gate when I got a phone call from the Hospital stating that they we in dire need of some help for a few hours.  I was just pulling off the freeway, so I drove right to the hospital to go to work.  It was a difficult night, emotionally draining, but yet a very good night.  I feel that I was able to make a small difference in someone's life.  That is my absolute favorite thing about being a nurse, when I can help someone and perhaps make a difference.  It is a good feeling.


Wednesday night Shandra's water heater started leaking (NO FUN!) and so I grabbed my dad to go over to look at it.  It is only leaking a little, but will need to be replaced soon.  Since we came over she shared dinner with us, roast and potatoes!  Yum!  and then she was kind enough to pull out her clippers and scissors to give dad and me well needed haircuts.  She is so talented that I never want to go anyone else, but she is go crazy busy right now that I hate to bother her.  She is working extremely hard to get through school to become a surgical tech and also working full time at AutoLiv and still working at the salon on Monday nights.  I very much appreciated her taking the time to cut our hair.

Kim went to Girl's Camp again this years as the priesthood representative.  He absolutely loves going and the girls love having him there.  The leaders appreciate him too because he is so good at making camping easier for them.  Usually they find a way to dress him up like a girl for a skit, but he said he didn't get the opportunity this year.

Since Kim was at girl's camp and both Shandra and Jason had to work I volunteered to take a day off work and take over the child care.  It was such a fun day!  I took Kalel out to my sister, Robin's, house to let him play with his cousin, Corbin.  Robin and I haven't had an opportunity to spend much time together in the last few years so we spent most of the morning just visiting and enjoying each other's company.  We then invited Tammy to join us so she drove out to Robin's house too.  We had a great visit!  Of course, no day is complete without going out to lunch, so we called Ash and she met us for lunch at Old Grist Mill.  What a fine day!  I miss having regular days off to spend with my sisters and friends.  All of the years that I worked at the doctor's office I always had Thursdays off.  Even though I absolutely love teaching at Eagle Gate, I wish I could have one day a week off - but it doesn't look like that is going to happen, so I just need to cherish and enjoy the days I do get off.
Ash & I looking CRAZY!  Tammy and Robin
Thursday night was Back to School night for Kalel.  I took the kids and then met Shandra there after she got off work.  We were able to meet Kalel's new teacher and then he got his school pictures taken.  I can't believe it is time for him to start school again!  Where does the time go?

I ended up working at the hospital again on Saturday.  It was a good day.  Sometimes I don't like working there because I am someone who likes to know what is expected, but when you are dealing with hospital patients you never know what to expect!  It is also hard since I don't work there as much I worry that my skills aren't staying sharp.  I'm having a hard time deciding whether to stay on there or not.  Tough decision because I love it on the good days.

Because the week was so busy I haven't had the opportunity to watch the Olympics as much as I would have liked, but I have gotten to watch some great events such as Michael Phelps winning his 23rd gold medal (crazy!) and the women's gymnastic team outshine all the other competition.  I've seen some great volleyball games and enjoyed a little synchronized diving.  Still another week to go!  YEA!

I just got back from a visit with my dad.  We watched some of the Olympic track and field events together.  He was quite confused tonight, even to the point of forgetting who his wife was.  This is SO HARD!  Watching a parent lose his memory and lose cognitive function is awful!  I'm seriously afraid that he will not be able to live alone much longer.


THIS WEEK I AM GRATEFUL FOR:  the knowledge that Christ cares and is very aware of each of us as we struggle.  He is the only one who absolutely understands the trials we bear and is willing to support us with the heavy load.

Comments

Jodi said…
Sorry about your Dad! That is always such a hard thing to know what to do! Glad you had time to have some fun this week!
The Olympics were amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home