Bear Lake 2012


For many years when our kids were young, Kim & I had the wonderful opportunity to take  mini vacations each spring and summer courtesy of our friends, Harper and Janis.  In the spring we would travel south to St. George and stay at Harper's parent's house.  In the late summer we would  head up to Bear Lake and stay in Janis' parent's cabin.  We looked forward to these trips, and scheduled the rest of our lives around them.  Mike and Tammy joined us for each trip.  Sometimes other couples would join us, but the "core" group was the six of us.  We often remarked that we looked forward to the time when our children were older and we wouldn't need to find sitters.  We talked about how much more settled we will be at that time and that we would have loads more time to vacation together.
HaHaHa!  The joke was on us!  As our children grew, our free time seemed to shrink proportionately, and we never could seem to fit in our mini vacations.


This year we decided that it had been way too long since our last trip, and we scheduled some time at Bear Lake.  It was PERFECT!  The first night we went to a melodrama at the Pickleville Playhouse.  It was entitled "The Hanging of El Bandito", and it was one of the best community plays I have ever seen!  I can't remember the last time Kim laughed that hard!  It was so good that we decided to bring the girls back over to see it next month!
The next morning we got up early and went golfing.  It was a little pricey, but totally worth it.  I don't think I have golfed for 8 or 9 years, and I was more than just a little bit rusty - but it was tons of fun!  Unfortunately, golfing tends to bring out my gutter mouth, and I said more than a few swear words!  I had forgotten how much I enjoy golf.  The Bear Lake West course looks over the lake, and the view was magnificent!

The rest of the weekend we literally did nothing but sit around, relax, and renew old friendships.  The cabin has a beautiful porch, and each day we spent hours sitting on the porch looking at the lake or under the shade of the huge tree lounging in lawn chairs.  Kim did a little carving.  
We listened to music from the 1970's and played, "who is the performer?".  Of course, we walked up to Main Street each day to enjoy a milkshake!

These crazy guys challenged me to do a little photoshopping and switch the heads on each of us.  What a difference a different head makes on a body!

It has been so long since I have had time to actually just sit and relax with good friends that I have almost forgotten how.  I'm so grateful for this summer to have some "down" time to get recharged - and this trip was perfect!  I love Harper & Janis and Mike & Tammy, and I can't express how much this trip meant to me.  It was just what I needed!  Now we just need to plan the next one -- and not wait another 10 years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home