The Oregon Coast - Some of Nature's Most Beautiful Sights, Part 1

I have always heard that the Oregon Coast has some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, so naturally I had a desire to see it!  When the opportunity came up, I jumped at the chance.  Shanne and I decided that we needed to use some of my WorldMark credits and treat ourselves to a vacation.  Who could pass up an opportunity like that?  Not me!  Beautiful countryside, beaches, and spending time with Shanne - all the ingredients necessary for a perfect vacation!

We took off Saturday morning and flew into Portland.  From the airport we drove up to Multnomah Falls.  WOW!  The falls were absolutely incredible, and when surrounded by the colorful, fall leaves it felt like we were in a gorgeous painting!

We then drove to our hotel near the Portland Temple.  After checking in and changing clothes, we headed to the temple for a session.  We got to spend extra time in the chapel while an American Sign Language group went before us.

After the temple we headed into Downtown Portland where we visited Powell Books - one of the largest bookstores in the world!  It is seriously HUGE!  And there were books of every type, old books, new books, anything a person could ever want.  We were told that we absolutely had to try Voodoo Donuts, so we stopped and got treats on the way back.  Shanne's favorite?  Maple bars with bacon.

For dinner that night we went to Oswego Grill.  I'm so sad that I didn't get pictures of the food because it was seriously one of the best meals I have ever had!  Shanne got a plateful of brussel sprouts that she said was one of the best foods she has ever eaten.  I got turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing and it was INCREDIBLE!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
The next morning we headed to the Portland Saturday Market for some fun, fun shopping.  There were all kinds of interesting and unique items.  Notice the saw in my head!  I bought it for Kim and he LOVES it!
After spending a decent amount of money it was time to head to the coast.  I was so amazed at all of the pine trees everywhere!  I had mistakenly assumed that pine trees only grew in high elevations, but not so!  The pine trees grow right to the beach!

First stop was Astoria where we visited the Column, a 125 foot tower covered in paintings telling the story of the region's history along with the Lewis and Clark expedition.  The views from the park were breathtaking.  I decided that I would fight my phobia and tackle my fear of heights.  I purchased a balsam airplane to toss from the top and began the journey of 165 stairs.  About half-way I started having anxiety, but I talked myself out of it and just kept putting one foot and then the next on the stairs.  Before too long I was at the top!  I stepped out and immediately realized that it was a long way down!  Just then a cute little boy asked me if he could throw my plane, I couldn't resist his plea.  I gave him my plane and his dad thanked me, telling me that he had dropped his plane on the climb up.  I was very glad I had given it too him - and his plane glided farther than anyone others!
The next stop was the condo in Seaside.  We purchased groceries at Costco (Shanne said that it really felt like a road trip since we stopped at Costco!) and then just made a great dinner of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2021

Fun Day With Bubba

Mom is Coming Home